Are you planning on buying or selling used motor vehicles in “The Garden State?” If you do, you must get a New Jersey Used Motor Vehicle Dealer License. Having an NJ Dealer License confirms your credibility and qualification to act as a New Jersey motor vehicle dealer.
Short on time? Read our Motor Vehicle Dealer License FAQ.
How to get a New Jesey Dealer License
Step #1: Download New Jersey Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Application packet
Step #2: Complete the following of the License Packet
- New Jersey Used Motor Vehicle Dealer Application (pg 4-5)
- Municipal Approval Form (pg 6)
- Supplemental Form (pg 8)
- Child Support Certificate (pg 9)
- Fingerprint Notification Form (pg 11)
- Dealer Business Hours Form (pg 12)
- Dealer Signature Card (pg 13)
Have a previous felony? Check out this post on Getting a Dealer License With a Felony.
Step #3: Include the following with your NJ Dealer License Application Packet
- Copy of driver license of each owner
- Passport-sized color photograph of each owner
- Copy of Incorporation/Formation papers
- Copy of property of deed or lease
- Copy of Federal EIN Registration Certificate
- Copy of NJ Certificate of Authority for Sales Tax
Step #4: Pay fees
Pay via certified check or money order payable to the NJ-MVC
- License fee: $100
- Registration fee: $257.50
Step #5: Mail
Mail your NJ Dealer License Application packet to the New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission.
Step #6: Upon preliminary approval, you will be asked to obtain liability insurance in amount of:
- $100,000 per person/incident up to $250,000 per incident for bodily injury or death
- $25,000 for property damage
- $250,000 for combined personal injury and property damage per incident covering all dealer plates
Step #7: Purchase a $10,000 New Jersey Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond
Purchase bond from a licensed surety bond provider.
An New Jersey Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond (also known as an NJ Auto Dealer Bond or NJ MVD Bond) protects your customers and builds trust in your business practices and reputation.
Not sure how to get an New Jersey Motor Vehicle Dealer Bond? Use this interactive tool to help you out.
New Jersey has set the bond amount at $10,000. This is not the price you'll pay for your bond. You'll only pay a small percentage of this amount, generally around $100-$400 if you have great credit. If your credit is injured, you'll have to pay a higher percentage of the total amount.
- Nervous about paying for your bond? We can help you finance.
- Have bad credit? We have bad credit options.
Step #8: Submit paperwork
Send insurance and NJ Dealer Bond to the NJ-MVC and wait to receive your NJ Dealer License in the mail.
Does my NJ Dealer License Expire?
Yes, New Jersey Dealer Licenses expire on March 31st of each year.
You should receive renewal papers in the mail at least 60 days prior to your license expiration.
NJ Dealer Bonds also are only valid for 1 year from their date of issuance, so you will need to renew your NJ Dealer Bond annually.