Don't know where to start? Start here: "What Is A Surety Bond?"  


Lost Car Title? How To Get A Colorado Bonded Title

By Megan Hinojosa on Oct 1, 2016 2:44:00 PM in

Lost Title Bonds

bonded title


Do you have a vehicle in Colorado, but no title? You might be wondering what you can do. Well, you might be able to get a Colorado Bonded Title.


Short on time? Check out our Bonded Title FAQ page


What is a Colorado Bonded Title? 


A Colorado Bonded Title (sometimes known as a Colorado Lost Title Bond) is a document that proves you own your vehicle. It functions just like a regular title and allows you to drive, sell, and register your car. 


A bonded title is just like a regular title, except it is marked "bonded" meaning it has a surety bond attached to it.


When you get a bonded title, you are promising that you are the true owner the vehicle. If someone comes forward later on and says that they are the owner of the vehicle and that you should not have been granted a bonded title, they can make a claim on your bond. If the claim is determined to be valid, the surety company would pay the person a fair amount. It would then be your responsibility to repay the surety.


Curious about what would happen if someone made a claim on your bond? Check out this resource.


When you Need a Colorado Bonded Title:


  • You never received the title to your vehicle
  • You only received a bill of sale with your vehicle
  • You received an improperly assigned title
  • You received the title, but lost it before transferring it into your name*


*If you DID have the title registered in your name at one point in time, but simply lost the title, you can get a Duplicate Certificate of Title. Apply for a Duplicate Certificate of Title at your nearest county office and paying a $8.20 fee. 


Not sure if you need a bonded title? Check out this awesome infographic


How to get a Colorado Bonded Title


Step #1: Contact DMV to make sure you are eligible

Your local DMV is the only entity that can tell you if you are eligible for a bonded title or not.

Contact your local DMV, explain your situation, and ask if you could get a bonded title.

If they say yes, move on to Step #2. 


Step #2: Get vehicle inspected

Get vehicle inspected by a Colorado law enforcement office. Once they are done they will give you a completed Certified VIN Inspection Form. There is a $20 inspection fee. 


Step #3: Request a Colorado Title Record Search at your local DMV

There is a $2.20 fee for this.

Getting a record search will reveal is there are any previous records on your vehicle. If there are, you could manage to contact the original seller, and not need to get a CO Bonded Title. 

A record search will also reveal if there are any liens on your vehicle. You will want your vehicle to be free of any liens because you cannot apply for a CO Bonded Title if you have open liens on your vehicle.


Step #4: Determine the appraised value of your vehicle by one of the following forms

If you choose to have your vehicle appraised by a licensed Colorado auto dealer, the appraisal must be written on the dealer’s letterhead and signed. It must include the dealer’s license number as well.

  • Price guide books (if vehicle is 7 years old or newer)
  • Computerized valuation services (like KBB or NADA Guides)
  • Licensed Colorado auto dealer

 All value appraisals need to include the year, make, and VIN of the vehicle.

Step #5: Purchase a Colorado Lost Title Bond

Purchase a bond from a surety bond company. Make sure you apply for the correct bond amount.

Your bond amount must be for 2 times the value of your vehicle. For example, if your vehicle is appraised at $2,000 then you must get a $4,000 bond.

  • You will need to provide your  vehicle motor and manufacturer number for your bond form.  This information should be listed on your certified VIN inspection form.


90% of our customers only need to pay $100 for their bond!


Free Colorado Lost Title Bond Quotes


Before you purchase your title bond - learn important payment info


Step #6: Complete a Bond Statement Guide & In Lieu of Bond Affidavit Form


Step #7: Submit paperwork and CO Lost Title Bond

Submit paperwork to your local DMV office and pay $7.20 title fee.  If your papers are approved, you will be issued a Colorado Bonded Title.


Does my Colorado Bonded Title Expire?


Yes, CO Bonded Titles expire 3 years after the date they are issued. If after 3 years, no one comes forward and makes a claim against your Colorado Lost Title Bond, you will be issued a standard Certificate of Title.



Related links:

Bonded Titles FAQ

4 Reasons You Might Need A Bonded Title